John E. Tangren
John has gained widespread recognition as an extraordinary attorney with particular success in nationwide consumer and antitrust class actions.
John Tangren maintains a national practice in antitrust and consumer class action litigation, advocating exclusively for plaintiffs for the past decade. Mr. Tangren has vast experience in the field of automotive defect litigation, having represented plaintiffs in multistate class actions over defective electronic throttle systems, engine blocks, brake cylinders, and other vehicle components. Mr. Tangren has also won victories for class plaintiffs in other antitrust and consumer actions at both the trial and appellate level.
Among other recognition, he has been named a class action Super Lawyer in Illinois for his effective representation of consumer classes in automotive and other cases, was named by the National Trial Lawyers as a “Top 40 Under 40” attorney in 2012, and an Emerging Lawyer by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company. Mr. Tangren is frequently asked to speak on topics relating to class action litigation. He has presented “CAFA: 12 Years Later” at the Chicago Bar Association Class Action Committee Meeting (2017) and a 2018 Strafford CLE Webinar titled “Class Action Litigation: Avoiding Legal Ethics Violations and Malpractice Liability,” as well as presented on electronic discovery and topics relating to car defect cases.
- Played a significant role in the successful appeal of Messner v. Northshore University HealthSystem, 669 F.3d 802 (7th Cir. 2012), which established important precedent for class certification.
- Played a significant role in the successful appeal of In re Text Messaging Antitrust Litigation, 630 F.3d 622 (7th Cir. 2010), which established important precedent for complaint pleading standards in antitrust cases.
- Obtained nearly half a million dollars in discovery sanctions for uncovering the defendant’s discovery misconduct in class action litigation involving unintended acceleration in various Ford vehicles.
- Represented plaintiffs in nationwide class action over toxic herbicide, resulting in a $550 million settlement.
- Represented plaintiffs in nationwide class action over leaking plastic cooling tubes in SUVs, resulting in a $45 million settlement.
- Represented plaintiffs in nationwide class action over student loan marketing, resulting in a $9.75 million settlement.
- Super Lawyer: Class Actions & Mass Torts, Illinois (2017-2018)
- Super Lawyer: Rising Star, Illinois (2011, 2013-2016)
- Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2015-2018)
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 (2012)
Selected Writings and Presentations
- Class Action Litigation: Avoiding Legal Ethics Violations and Malpractice Liability, Strafford CLE Webinar (2018)
- CAFA: 12 Years Later, Chicago Bar Association Class Action Committee (2017)
- “The Potential Perils of Deposition Objections to Form,” The Illinois Employment Advocate, Aug. 2015
- Lessons on Motions to Dismiss from Other Car Defect Cases, HarrisMartin MDL Conference: General Motors Ignition Switch Recall Litigation (2014)
- The Use of Absent Class Member Discovery on Issues of Class Certification, National Consumer Class Action Litigation & Management Conference (2013)
- ESI For Beginners, Seventh Circuit Conference of the National Employment Lawyers Association (2013)
- Chicago Bar Association